New release: Dex
RPG news has been a bit slow lately, or so it has seemed–I keep digging down into my inbox and deleting dozens of emails from PR flacks about games that aren’t even arguably RPGs, then getting frustrated and running off to do something else. But wait, what’s this? Imagine my delight to find out that Dex (previously covered here) is now out!
Explore the dark alleys of Harbor Prime and a host of diverse locations in both physical reality and the wild reaches of cyberspace.
Discover the truth behind an enigmatic AI striving to reach the Singularity, a theoretical “event horizon” in which artificial intelligence will surpass human intelligence and all bets about the future will be off.
How will you play your part in the story?
Here’s the release trailer:
And here’s the feature list:
- Rare melding of realism and creative vision: Realistic action, mature storyline, and complex character interactions meld with hand-drawn characters, animations, and locations, arcade-style melee combat, and an original conception of cyberspace.
- Multiple solutions to problems: Operate in cyberspace or normal reality. Overcome obstacles using skills, weapons, special equipment…
- Meaningful character progression choices: Will you be a silent assassin, a hacker, or a straightforward gunfighter? Improve your character and gear to unlock gameplay-changing upgrades that reinforce and customize your gameplay style.
- Unique hacking mechanic: Transfer your consciousness to your avatar, overcome intrusion countermeasures, take action, and then return back to your body in a fraction of a real-time second to see the results – deactivated turrets, overloaded devices, enemies with crippled implants…
- Neo-cyberpunk: Story deeply inspired by the cyberpunk novels of William Gibson and other classical cyberpunk authors, flavored with a contemporary concept of augmented reality.
- Rich game world and mindful level design: Visit diverse locations in Harbor Prime, a futuristic city complete with luxurious skyscrapers, run-down shantytowns, and seedy red-light districts. Take part in street brawls, steal corporate data, overcome environmental hazards, and, of course, stay alive – no easy task.
- Full voice acting: Interactive dialogues using hand-drawn sprite animations, fully voice-acted by professional actors.
Dex is available for $19.99 (minus any release discounts) on Steam, and in DRM-free form via the Humble Store. Windows Mac and Linux; the developers state that WiiU and OUYA ports will be forthcoming.