New release: Balrum
Here’s the new narrative premise:
It’s twenty years after your village fled the kingdom and took refuge in Darkwood. You always knew that these woods hold dark secrets but now you start to feel it’s evil on your own skin. Horrible things are happening. You discover fragments of the woods dark history and come to the conclusion that you have to leave your home. You know in your heart that once you step out of the protection of the place where you grown up, nothing will be the same. You have to face a world that’s in chaos. A world without laws. Nevertheless you feel something else too. You feel freedom. A completely new world awaits you to explore it, but the feeling quickly turns into guilt. There are people in Darkwood who are counting on your help. You are their last hope.
Created by a 2-person team from Hungary, Balrum has been in development since 2012. The game has turn-based combat with backstab effects (which I like), though you only control one character during those fights. The game also features stealth, crafting, farming, hunting, a faithful pet, and the ability to build a customized home (which NPCs can reportedly then visit to leave notes or offer quests).
This trailer from December seems to be as close as it gets to a release trailer, so have a look:
Now that the game’s done, here is the official list of features:
- Real-Time world with Turn-Based Combat
- A huge Open World with dozens of Dungeons to explore
- Spend your learning points to create a pure class or a hybrid class
- Dozens of Side Quests and an Epic Main Quest
- Three separate paths leading to the end
- Tame various animals to be your loyal Companion
- Deep Crafting System which allows you to create custom items
- Day/Night Cycle with Weather Effects
- Survival Mechanics
Balrum is available on Steam at a $14.99 price point (though there’s a 10% discount for the next few days). Windows and Mac.