Word reaches me that Overfall (previously covered here), the tactics-lite / roguelike hybrid from Turkish indies Pera Games, has just entered paid beta less than six months after hitting its funding goal on Kickstarter.
The premise remains:
You will lead two heroes on a journey across the high seas in search of their lost king. You will encounter people of all breeds and all creeds; ally with them or crush them without mercy. You will face many dangers; survive them and you may unlock new characters, weapons and skills. In a world where death is permanent, you must return to the beginning and make a fresh start. The heroes you choose, the weapons you unlock and a world that is randomized mean that no two adventures will ever be the same.
When I last posted about Overfall, the developers told me that the “two heroes” refer to your starting characters, and that you will be able to recruit up to 36 people to fight for you (with party size capped at 4 in any given battle).
Here’s a new trailer:
Per the developers, Overfall features:
- A huge, dynamic world to explore, ruled by a number of races in constant conflict – it’s up to you to help or betray them
- Challenging and addictive turn-based combat – careful strategy and cunning skill combinations are the key to victory against your foes!
- Permanent hero death, procedural world generation, and high replay inspired by classic roguelikes
- Interactive story encounters where the choices you make and the allies you recruit ensure no two journeys are quite the same
- Unlock new classes, weapons, trinkets and skills as you progress in the game
- Beautiful hand-drawn art of of 9 player characters, 36 combat companions, 80+ enemies, 80+ NPCs, and 100+ locations