New release: Chroma Squad
Saulo Camarotti writes in to announce the release of Chroma Squad. Created by Brazilian indies Behold Studios (whom you might recall as the developers behind Knights of Pen and Paper), Chroma Squad is a strategy RPG themed after the goofy 1990s TV show Power Rangers.
It’s not merely inspired by the show, however–it’s inspired by the very act of making the show:
Chroma Squad is a tactical RPG about five stunt actors who decide to quit their jobs and start their own Power Rangers-inspired TV show!
Cast actors and purchase upgrades for your studio, craft weapons and giant Mechas out of cardboard. Once the cameras are rolling, you will control your cast of five colored-jumpsuit-clad warriors in dramatic turn-based battles!
It’s an interesting narrative take on the strategy RPG formula, for sure. And in case there was any room for doubt as to how not-seriously this game takes itself, here’s the release trailer:
The developers have provided the following official feature list:
- Create your own TV studio: hire actors, upgrade your equipment, do marketing, craft weapons, costumes and giant cardboard robots!
- Tactical RPG combat with a twist: combine your heroes’ abilities with Teamwork maneuvers!
- In-Depth RPG systems with skill trees, random equipment, crafting, and branching storyline!
- A love letter to tokusatsu and the Japanese series of our childhood!
- Deliciously-animated pixel art and a chiptune soundtrack that shines like justice!
Chroma Squad is out for Windows, Mac, and Linux–you can snag it for $15 direct from the developers, on GOG, on Steam, and on the Humble Store. It will be available for the Xbox One and Playstation 4 as well, but there’s no release date for that just yet.